Thursday, March 27, 2008

Political shmolitical

What do I know? I used to be a fan of John McCain, and I could have been assigned to the US Navy vessel (DDG-56) named similarly. Much of my low volume fandom has been diminished after hearing his opinions concerning the latest war in Iraq and his apparent support for Resident Bush, but I have always held a little back. In my own quest for intriguing knowledge, I have always quietly hoped this was some bit of wool pulling to foil those who kept him from the White House most recently from doing it again.

What happened now? Now that he has tied up the Republican presidential nomination, I heard talk of subtle changes in McCain's political mumblings that are either proving my suspicions true, show he thinks he has a bigger ball of yarn to play with, or he is really as senile as some people think. I don't think I'm lucky enough for it to be the first one, but who knows? As his stated Rightliness has his party (reluctantly or not) falling in behind him, I'm even more afraid for a system of electing government officials that can pander so effectively and not worry about turning your back on your constituency because they have turned into their own wool producing entity (yes Rush, you could call them sheep just as well). It seems to me that we have doomed ourselves to repeat this continually. The Democrat and Republican parties are reducing themselves to little more than poorly managed voting unions.

When will enough people realize they are being taken advantage of en masse, and that the advantage takers should be treated to a wool-free reality check? I'd like to think that there are some states where this might be possible. Open primaries and other systems that do not favor the big two political monopolies are gaining a little traction. I'm interested in seeing how Louisiana-style primaries are carried out as well.

I'm almost hoping that the leading republican makes it to the White House, just for the shake-up I think both parties need. But I believe the reigning wool pullers are too powerful to let the full reconstruction take place.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments:

Post a Comment